Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Whats in a Name? My Style Now!


Have you ever heard that phrase "whats in a name?"  I have... repeatedly.  I have to say there is much more to a name than I originally thought.  When I first named my social media outlets, I was thinking "Hmm, something I have always loved is glitter and everything that sparkles and shines."  What I failed to consider is how using the name DanielleLovesGlitter in social media could possibly limit me or put me into a niche' that I was not necessarily aiming for.
My old color wheel (haha)

Since childhood I have reached for makeup, jewelry, clothes and shoes that have a glittery or blingy look and feel.  As I am getting older, I feel that my choices while still more wild than some have gotten a bit more conservative.  Here is a breakdown of my current style in Makeup, Clothes & Shoes, Jewelry and Other Accessories.

Examples:
STYLE Makeup: I can’t picture wearing glitter overlays on my lids anymore (not to mention that 90’s/2000 look where you put glitter in c-shape of your outer eye when going out—unless it is Halloween or New Year’s Eve)…yet I won’t give up my glitter liquid liner for fun nights out.  I also feel that while I love glitter polishes, I reserve them more for holidays, accent nails and pedicures.  I prefer wearing more neutral makeup looks with pops of color usually with my eye liners or the color I use on my mobile lid.  I do wear a lot of color on my nails; it just is not as glittery as it used to be. At one point in time, I would go over every manicure with glitter polish.  In fact, one day my old boss and I decided to paint all of our office supplies with my glitter polish and I still have the calculator somewhere that is covered with silver glitter bars.

STYLE Clothes and Shoes: I have noticed that when I shop for clothes my style has changed there also.  Once male friend of mine once told me I had a rockabilly vibe.  I am not sure about that at all.  I do love glamming up my outfits a bit more when I go out at night, yet during the day I opt for more classic clothes.  If I do opt for a trendy piece I do not splurge on it.  While I love jeans and cute tops, I also love wearing dresses.  I like kitten type (or low heels) and platforms.  Stilettos (while I have a few pairs) are not really my style and are usually reserved for special occasions.  On an average day you will see me in jeans and some kind of top with sandals.  At night, I prefer dresses or skirts with cute tops and low heels or even boots.

STYLE Jewelry: When it comes to jewelry, my tastes are very eclectic.  They range from extremely blingy Austrian Crystals to more organic stones and woods.  I would say I really go for statement necklaces, rings and earrings…but try to limit it to one statement piece and one delicate piece.  I have a serious love of handmade jewelry.  One of my very best friends Erica makes the most amazing pieces of jewelry.  She has made me 3 or 4 bracelets and her craftsman ship and the time she takes to make these pieces just amazes me.  I also really like vintage or vintage looking pieces.  I have a few pieces of my Nana’s jewelry and I find those pieces very special. My mom who is a gold and diamonds fanatic has also given me beautiful classic pieces that I will always wear. 

STYLE Other Accessories: I used to change purses or handbags constantly to match my outfit.  For some reason in the past few years I have really stayed away from that.  I usually change my bag for the season and have an evening bag that is smaller to carry if I go out.  I use a camel or light beige color in the summer and a black in the winter.  My go to evening bag is a cute coach signature black bag that my sister got me years ago.  It is simple, sleek and goes with anything.

When it comes to hair, I have definitely changed my style.  I used to wear a lot of glitter and jeweled hair accessories and in the past few years I have changed that.  Now I mostly go without hair accessories unless I pull my hair back and then I use a flower (usually from LaynieBugs Designs), one of the headbands my friend April sent me, or the colorful fabric hair ties from LaynieBugs Designs. 

I just thought I would give my readers an update…at this point in time I won’t be changing my blog address or social media handles because guess what…DANIELLE STILL LOVES GLITTER!  However, I did want to let you know in what aspects and that glitter does not define my style and taste…it is just a part of me!

I hope you are all having a wonderful summer and truly enjoying yourselves.  Remember it is summer, be safe and wear your SPF friends!

Xoxo
Dani

2 comments:

  1. You will always be my glitter bug because you always shine! You don't need all the extras with your smile and personality you can not be ignored! Just like glitter you brighten shine and sparkle any room you enter! Love you " the gwennie"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww Gwennie! You are so sweet! Thank you. I love you!
    Xoxo
    Dani

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...