Monday, July 30, 2012

Did you know about National Lipstick Day? JULY 29


Apparently July 29th is National Lipstick Day!


It was about 3am on July 29, 2012 that I got a message alerting me that it was National Lipstick Day!  How exciting is that?  I can’t seem to find the origin of National Lipstick Day…but any day that celebrates lipstick or makeup is fine with me!

Lipstick is a very sentimental product for women.  It is probably as sentimental as fragrances can be.  One of the first items most little girls ask to put on is lipstick or lip-gloss. Most of us had some version of Smackers, Bonne Bell, Chapstick or another lip balm as children.

As with some of my other blogs, National Lipstick Day got me to thinking about some family memories of lipstick that I would like to share with you.

My Nana and my mom both loved the shade Cherries in the Snow by Revlon when I was a pre-teen.  So naturally, I wore it also.  I have vivid memories of my mom getting her nails done in the same color.  My Nana’s last Christmas with us, she asked me to do her makeup and she said “Danielle, make sure you use that red one I like.” (It was Cherries in the Snow)  Even back then I had backups of favorite products. I got another one of these a few years ago when I helped my sister move away to college.  I was so sad at the time; I just roamed the isles of CVS and picked it up when I saw it.

That same year, my cousin Jen came over for Christmas with my Aunt Maria.  When Jen arrived she had these really bold red lips.  She had the most amazing, natural full lips I have ever seen.  After dinner, when she went to my bathroom to fix her makeup she pulled out a tube of lipstick by L’Oreal.  It was such an odd shade to me (at the time); as it was a little bit brown and a little bit rosy.  I asked her what color and brand it was.  She told me that it was L’Oreal’s Rose Potpourri.  She handed me the tube to share as she did with many things and we descended back down to the Christmas party with our new nudish lip color.  My mom instantly noticed and said “WHAT is that COLOR,” as only my mom could do.  I laugh thinking about it.  Jen told my mom the brand and the name, then offered her the tube of lipstick.  My mom wouldn’t take it but wrote down the name and we went out and bought our own tubes a few days later.  Rose Potpourri has been discontinued for a very long time, but I would do anything to get my hands on it again.  Just to see it even.

My Seester and I usually have totally opposite tastes in lipsticks.  However, we do have a few mutual favorites. She likes to tease me that I love “Barbie” pink lips (and I do…sometimes).  Her current favorites as of this afternoon were by MAC and are called Hug Me, Please Me, Sequin, Fabby and Rebel

I can’t remember the name of the one my mom currently loves but it is a beautiful shade by Lorac.  I want to think it is called Kiss Me….but don’t quote me on that.

Finally, my current favorites would be:

·        Hourglass: Nocturnal
·        Tarte Lip Surgence: True Blood Limited Edition
·        Tarte Lip Surgence: Sweet
·        Tarte Lip Surgence: Adored
·        Tarte Lip Surgence: Frisky
·        Tarte Lip Surgence: Perky
·        MAC: Angel
·        MAC: Blankety
·        MAC: Viva Glam V
·        MAC: Viva Glam Gaga 1
·        MAC: Viva Glam Gaga 2
·        MAC: Snob

I hope to replace my MAC favorites when I finish them with some cruelty free products.  Too Faced has launched a new line of lipsticks that look amazing and I am in love with Hourglass lipsticks.

Xoxo,
Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...