Friday, July 20, 2012

Great Resources for Cruelty Free Cosmetics, Skin Care and Body Care.


In the past six months or so, I have found myself learning more about the way cosmetics are created and have been learning a lot about the process from the original inspiration to the completed product for sale.  Additionally, I have become better versed in testing procedures and which companies test on animals. 

I am by no means an expert on the subject.  In fact, at the moment I would say that a good amount of my personal collection is not cruelty free, but I am not a wasteful person and will use what I have before finding suitable replacements.

I am a vegetarian bordering on vegan who loves animals.  This blog post is in no means meant to be preachy, nor is it to educate others on what is entailed in being cruelty free.  For education on that topic, I would refer you first to the Leaping Bunny website and then to YouTube vloggers like CosmeticCourturier, NYC Georgette, and VeggieBeauty. These women are very knowledgeable on the subject of being cruelty free and are a wealth of information when it comes to finding new products and letting you know what to look for.  Each has their own philosophy and I would encourage anyone who is still trying to figure out their own to listen and read about different philosophies and educate themselves.  

During my hunt for more information on new products that did not test on animals; I was introduced to a new world of cosmetics, skin care and body care products that I wasn’t aware of before.  In some cases, I was aware but perhaps did not pay attention.  I have always supported mainstream cruelty free brands like Tarte, Urban Decay, Too Faced, Hourglass, and brushes from various brands made of synthetic or takelon hair.

Now, I have been introduced to a wide array of different cosmetic companies including indie brands that do not test their products on animals.  Several are vegan or have vegan options as well.  I have also come across some great websites that provide a variety of cruelty free products.

Some of my favorite sites/companies at the moment are:
  • 100% Pure- Color cosmetics, skin care, body care
  • WhiteRabbitBeauty-A variety of brands to suit your cosmetic needs
  • LeapingBunny-A great source of information that includes a consistently updated cruelty free list
  • Pumpkin and Poppy - Color cosmetics, fragrance
  • Glamour Doll Eyes-Known for their shadow collections, a color of the month club
  • Sigma-Brushes-makeup accessories, cosmetics

I encourage you to take some time for yourself and do a bit of research on the cosmetic creation process and ingredients used by different companies.  Get familiar with their processes and policies so that you can make purchasing decisions that go along with your belief system.  While you are on this journey for knowledge about your passion for makeup, you may just find some new companies and products that you really enjoy.

Please leave any comments and questions below, or feel free to email me at danilovesglitter@aol.com.
If you have a favorite cruelty free company or product, please leave it in the comments below so that everyone can take a look.

Have a FABULOUS weekend!
Xoxo
Dani

7 comments:

  1. Thank you. Nice that products are now being made, cruelty-free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so love reading blogs on how to take care of my skin. Glad i found this one. Really appreciated. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andy! I can appreciate people who love to take care of their skin. Quick question...when is Estee Lauder going to go cruelty free?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always read labels and research before I buy. Glad you are dedicated to doing the same as well. Its hard to imagine so many larger companies are so willing to mismarket and mislabel. Particularly ones that supported SOPA. I find the smaller brands have less to hide, and are even willing to sign the Leaping Bunny statement in an effort to tie up loose ends :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been reading out some of your stories and i must say clever stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the great post on your blog, Nice that products.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well personally speaking I love using products, guess this would really be a great list of products in my make up kit, also looking forward to recommending them in my salon at long beach NY spas Frasada.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...