Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Beauty Rush-Casual Friday in 10 minutes!


Last week I shared my tips for a polished 5 minute makeup look.  Those are great for getting out the door and getting to work/school/etc., on time. However, I know many of us like to carry our Casual Friday makeup into a look we can wear out to dinner or to a movie after work.  One of my favorites (especially for summer) has been a slightly amped up version of my Beauty Rush-5 Minute Makeup look.  

Step 1: Prep and prime your face using your favorite moisturizer, face primer and eye primer.  On Fridays I use my normal skin care routine, but I change up my primer and foundation.  For long wearing foundation I tend to use the Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer and layer the Hourglass Illusion Tinted Moisturizer on top of that.  I use the Coco Beau Big Fatty Foundation Brush to apply this particular tinted moisturizer because it is flat and leaves fewer streaks than a normal paddle brush.  I am by no means telling anyone to go purchase a $50 brush from Europe, but a thicker paddle brush (I believe MAC used to make one) will work...or you can use your fingers.

Step 2: Prime your eyes.  My favorite primer for using matte shadows is Urban Decay's Eden.  I didn't like it at first, but after I got used to it, it quickly became one of my favorite primers.  I think it is key that you use a good eye cream before applying this product. Eden covers any discoloration and really holds my shadows on all day.  (For reference, I put my makeup on around 6:30-7am and don't take it off until about 8pm on an average work day.  On Friday’s my makeup needs to hold up all night.)  

Step 3: Take your fluffy blending brush, again I use my Sigma E35 and tap it into a light-medium, mid-tone brown such as Naked from Urban Decay or Taupe from the Lorac Pro Pallette.  

Then take a light color that is either matte or has a slight sheen.  Two of my favorites are Virgin from Urban Decay or Creme from the Lorac Pro Pallette.  Take any c-shape or eye shader brush and gently pat that light color along your brow bone and into the inner corner. (We still want to look wide awake.)  

Next, take a very dense crease brush.  I have a crease brush that I believe is by Smashbox that one of my good friends sent me.  It isn't too long and is quite dense.  (Like a thick pencil brush).  You can also use a standard pencil brush and just really work that color into the crease.  Whichever brush you prefer, pick a slightly darker brown.  I use either Buck from Urban Decay or Sable from the Lorac Pro Pallette and I work it through my crease without bringing it down into the outer v.  I just define the crease without re-creating my eye shape or making it look droopy.  

Take a clean blending brush and blend the crease and lid colors again to make the gradient look seamless.  Make sure there are no harsh lines between the crease and highlight color.  If necessary, take the brow bone color and go over that line a bit to help it look more blended without erasing your work.

Step 4: Take your favorite long wearing black or dark brown liner and tight line your upper lash line.  I prefer Zero or Perversion from Urban Decay or Mally's Starlight Liner in Black or Espresso.

Step 5:  Take your favorite blue eye liner and line your bottom water line.  I do this because by Friday my eyes are a bit tired looking and the blue really brings out the whites of my eyes and even the green and yellow shades in my hazel eyes.  The color I gravitate towards for this look is Deviant by Urban Decay.  It is bright without being neon like Electric from Urban Decay. *If you have fair skin/hair, you may choose to use a color such as Electric.

Step 6: Curl your lashes (about 30 seconds on each side) and apply 2-3 coats of your favorite mascara.  My two favorite mascaras of the moment are Mally’s Volumizing Mascara (in the white tube) and Tarte’s Light Camera Lashes.

Step 7: Since the eyes are the focal point of this look, I like to keep the rest of the face rather neutral.  I do contour slightly using my Sigma F05 Small Contour brush.  Since I am using up the products I have, I mostly use Hoola by Benefit or NARS Laguna to contour.  I do a light 3/E motion and bring a little down my neck if necessary.

Step 8: I use a light pink blush just for some color on the cheeks.  The two I switch between for this look are Dollface by Tarte and Flush by Smashbox.

Step 9: For lips, I use a neutral lip liner such as Whirl by MAC or the old Perfect Lips liner by Too Faced (one shade).  I then fill them in with a limited edition MAC lipstick Madly Creative or Tarte's Dazzled.  Both are light shimmery peachy-pink colors.  I have used MAC's Angel before as well.

This look will let you run straight from work to dinner and/or a movie with your friends, boyfriend, or husband without a lot of fuss.

I hope you enjoy this look!  Leave your Casual Friday look's below or email them to me!

xoxo
Dani

P.S. As stated in previous blogs, I do believe in purchasing cruelty free makeup.  I encourage everyone to look at the Leaping Bunny list to find their cruelty free brands.  I have quite a large makeup collection and have received non-cruelty free items as gifts.  Since I am not a wasteful person, I will say again, that I will replace my makeup as I run out of it.  However, I refuse to throw away perfectly good makeup or gifts from people who did not know I was trying to go cruelty free.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...