Saturday, November 26, 2011

Get Crazy...Be Bold...Why Hold Back?

Hollywood Blvd Christmas Decor

I love the holiday season as I have said since I started this blog, but I feel like the day after Thanksgiving is the day that I can start doing things with my makeup that I normally would not do during the rest of the year (with the exception of going to Hollywood or going dancing.)

First, I break out everything that SCREAMS glitter.  Urban Decay and TooFaced cosmetics make some great glitter liquid eyeliners and shadows.  I have the liners in silver, gold, and an iridescent version.  I love taking the iridescent liner and going over bright colors like Urban Decay's Ransom or Graffiti. I use the silver and gold to go over darker liners like black or navy.  I also love the way gold glitter looks over brown liner.  Especially with a brown smokey eye.  Think Jennifer Love Hewitt's look from Ghost Whisperer with a touch of glitter.

Second, I take my "night time" smokey eye look and amp it up to something that would be worthy of a Jerseylicious status type smokey eye. I blend the heck out of it...but I use blacks, silvers, vibrant blues and purples.

Third, I go all out on the highlighter.  Especially at night.  Why hold back, right?

Fourth, I tend to usually always wear a version of a nude lip except for hot summer days...but during the winter I really love that smoldering look of a dark smokey eye, a very contoured face, some glitter, a really great highlighter and muted, glossy lips.



Fifth, on New Years...all rules go out the windows. Go CRAZY...be BOLD.

I can say that some makeup looks I am inspired by are from my days in junior high and high school, from watching my older cousin's do their makeup back in the 80's, and even watching my mother and grandmother getting ready for nights out. The women in my family love glamour...and I am so glad that they gave me the confidence to take risks with beauty.

In school, we always double lined the lower lash line and now I have added that extra step of glitter. One of my best friends and I had made a tradition of going to the Hollywood Christmas Parade after another friend took me there about 13 years ago.  That is an amazing time to draw inspiration. Hollywood Blvd sparkles during Christmas...it might be the only time it is clean and sparkly but it does sparkle!

My Seester and I ran into one of our cousin's on New Years Eve at a club a few years ago and she looked amazing.  Why you ask?  She owned her look!  She had painted glitter stars near her eyes, and if I remember correctly even on her shoulder...her makeup was bold and she wore it with confidence and that made it not only fun but beautiful and memorable. No, she wasn't a teenager...she was in her mid 30's and she rocked that look.

I am not saying to walk around looking like that woman on Drew Carey, but I am saying take advantage of the holiday season.  Walk into a craft store and see how everything sparkles....get inspired to change it up a bit or be experimental.  I will say this, don't spend a bunch of money on something you won't wear except for one or two months out of the year.  At night, grab one of the glitter liners, do a bolder smokey eye, go a bit nuder on the lips.  Think MOD meets TINSEL. Wear your false lashes, put on some highlighter to make your cheek bones and eyes stand out and OWN IT!

Love yourself...be different!
xoxo
Dani

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this post, Dani! Takes me back to some fun times with makeup. :+)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thanks Vickie! I am glad you enjoyed it! That means a lot!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...