Monday, December 19, 2011

LaynieBug Designs Hair Accessories

 LaynieBug Designs Hair Accessories--A Review 

LaynieBug Designs Hair Ties come in a wide array of colors and retain their elasticity much longer than a rubber band.  They do not snag or get tangled in the hair, and look much better around the wrist for those of us who feel naked without an emergency hair band on our wrists for a quick up do. This is one of the company's current best sellers and one of my personal favorites already!

I had the pleasure of getting to know Melissa Blair (Owner of LaynieBugs Designs) after watching one of Sam Shuerman's videos (thanks Sam) on hair bows and storage.  I am so glad I did.  Prior to meeting Melissa, I would wait until I went to a convention or street fair only to buy poorly made hair pieces for a really expensive price tag. 

Melissa, is not only one of the most creative and hard working people I have ever met, but she is also the most down to earth and giving people I have met.  Be sure to go all the way to the bottom to see our interview! Just a preview, she does all the work herself and runs her business through her Facebook page.  She also contributes a percentage of each month's profits to a charity that touches her heart.

Melissa was kind enough to send me some samples of the different types of flowers, headbands, and hair ties that she sells in her store.  I said whatever she wanted to send was fine, and she sent me a great array that I can't wait to wear! (Would it be overkill to wear them all at once?....Perhaps....) Below are some of the items that Melissa sent over for review. 

A great package was sent to me with a variety of samples and products and everything was wrapped well and was also packaged so that nothing got crushed which I found to be very important.

Before we get to that, I have to say that these are impeccably made.  I have waist length, thick hair.  I have purchased many floral clips for upwards of $30 dollars in the past, only for the clip to be very hastily glued with a dot of glue and a cheap clip.  I usually needed to use 2 bobby pins and then clip in the flower.  I also love the the way that LaynieBugs Designs clips hook on to the hair bands.  It gives the flower clips so much versatility.  They can be worn as a single, double or tripple on a headband...or alone on the side of the hair or as part of an updo.



Some Satin Rosette choices
Satin and Organza choices with various center designs

All of the Layniebug pieces can be customized and she can also give you ideas on how to make your piece special. Above are just two examples of what you can choose from to customize your order.  However, Melissa will listen to what you want and look for what you are describing as well.  If she can't find it she will let you know.  Below are the pictures of the samples I received and am loving as well as some ideas of how and what I would wear them with. Following the pictures is an interview with Melissa.
The pink fabric rosette on the green headband has a frayed look...which I LOVE!  At first I thought, what could I pair this with and instantly I realized this would be perfect with jean shorts or a skirt and a white peasant blouse or tee and wild wavy hair for a really Bohemian look!  The second is a light olive green flower with pearl center clip on a headband.  I love this as it is very classy and I would easily wear this with neutrals.  The far right is possibly my favorite.  My Mom, Seester, and I love polka dots and I actually have a summer shirt that matches this headband perfectly.  I will have to wear it closer to summer.  I love these headbands, there is so digging, they don't roll up, they have the perfect stretch and they don't over-stretch.

 Here are closeup shots of the two pieces that are attached to the headband from the front.
These are a variety of different flowers with different centers and materials that I can clip to any headband, hair tie, or just directly into my hair. The picture above is that of the back of each of the clips
This picture shows the backing of each of the clips and how sturdy the clips themselves are.
Now, here is my interview with Melissa:

 1) You are a mother of two.  What gave you the idea to start this business and how did you come up with the line?
I started making hair accessories for my daughter and it just blossomed into what you see today!  As far as coming up with my line….and different collections….I pull ideas from what's around me.  When I go fabric shopping I can start to invasion ideas of what to make next.  
2) Where do you draw inspiration from?
My daughter and her friends……..as well as my friends!
3) You give a percentage of your profits to different charities each month...do you have specific charities or causes? Or any examples to share?  I typically gravitate towards charities that are near and dear to my heart…..those involving children, cancer, animals, etc.  I also get ideas from customers….I've sponsored customers in charitable walks and taken their suggestions.  Here are some of my past charities:   Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure, St. Jude's, Human Society of North Texas, Stand Up 2 Cancer, Breast Cancer Charities of America, Hope for Hannah….Hannah is the niece of my daughter's AWESOME Kindergarten Teacher from last year…she's currently battling Leukemia and is only 2 years old!
4) As a small business, most people wouldn't think of giving back so soon...what inspires you to give back to others?
I believe strongly in giving back.  I want to show my kids how important it is!   I LOVE that this business gives us…as a family the ability to do so more often.  I feel so lucky to be doing something I LOVE…..I believe in paying your good fortune forward! 
5) Your items are able to be customized completely, how does that affect pricing? 
It does affect pricing somewhat but what I found when I started this business was that very few people will do a complete custom piece for you.  I couldn't understand why?  Yes, it takes a little more time and effort but the results are priceless!  I want my customers to be happy!  If for some reason I can't find the materials and make what they want I let them know as fast as possible!  
6) You can create hair pieces for special events such as proms, formals and weddings; do you do a mock sample first?  How does that work?
Absolutely!  I LOVE a challenge!  I've done many pieces for weddings, formals, proms etc.!  I typically keep in close contact with the customer and email them with questions and pics along the way…..I want them to have input and be part of the creative process!  
7) How many glue sticks do you go through per month?
I've never actually counted but I've actually wondered this before.  I'm going to guess…….maybe 100?
8) You have an eye for creating some very eye catching combos, when you get a custom request you don't think will look good, do you give some feedback to help?
I do give feedback.  This has happened before….when it did I took a picture and emailed the customer……..they quickly discovered it wasn't what they thought it might be.  I've also suggested different materials and or centers when need be.
9) How often do you give discounts? 
I give discount randomly.  Sometimes I wake up and think…hmm….I should have a sale today!  I'm also the same way about giveaways!
10) What are your favorite/most worn pieces?
My favorites are the hair ties and smaller satin flowers.  The most popular items are my hair ties and the Silver Satin w/ Black Beaded Center….which was worn by Sam Schuerman and made popular by her!
11) What are the deadlines for ordering in time for Christmas or New Year’s or have those ships sailed? Xmas deadlines are pretty much past….but there's still hope for New Years as long as orders are made by the 21st!  

To place an order, browse LaynieBugs Designs, or discuss custom options (including different center decorations), go to https://www.facebook.com/layniebugdesigns and use the word "Glitter" in the message for Melissa to know to accept your request.  Her Facebook page is generally a catalog of ideas.

xoxo
Dani


2 comments:

  1. Clipy clip clip. Clip your way to chick
    Eric Z

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa uses great clips. Other accessories I have had used a lightweight clip and the flower was twice as heavy. It always needed extra securing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...