Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Current Faves, Flops and the Breaking Dawn Test




During this time of year everyone is on the run, and while we love using this time of the year to experiment with different looks sometimes we just need to get out the door!  Many of my favorites and flops come from my Seester's whirlwind trip over Thanksgiving.


The Breaking Dawn Test

Let me back track for a moment so you can picture this.  I take up to an hour or more getting ready (shower, makeup, hair)....my Seester can do it in half the time and look like she just walked out of a salon where she had her hair and makeup done. 


At one point during her trip home, we decided to go see Breaking Dawn Part 1, and she said..."Be ready in 30 minutes or we aren't going, and NO MAKEUP!"  This was such a challenge for me, because I really thought she would do her makeup while I was getting ready.  I jumped in the shower, towel dried my hair and put it up, and then used some of the products below for some makeup on the run, hoping she wouldn't notice I just perked up my skin a bit :)....well I don't know how well that all worked out....you will see why.


I will do a separate blog telling you how I use Laura Geller products and make them work for me, as I have seen many people out there who don't get the results they were looking for.  I didn't either at first...then I called the New York salon and I love it now.  Especially for days when I don't need a full coverage look-although...I can still get one.



Faves
Starting from the back: My pink basket I put all the makeup I will use in a day and take it from my storage and bring it to the bathroom to get ready. Second Row from right to left: Per-fekt Eye Brightening Gel, Laura Geller Spackle in Champagne, Laura Geller Real Deal Concealer in medium, Laura Geller Tinted Moisturizer, in Light, Urban Decay Heavy Metal Liner in Urban Cowboy, Laura Geller REGULAR retractable Kabuki that comes with her kits, Sigma's Miss Marilyn Kabuki, Buxom Mini Dolly gloss, Tarte Lights Camera Lashes, Laura Geller Marbled Lipstick in Riviera, The Balm's Shady Lady Pallet Volume 1. (Separate picture of the four compacts).  The liners are Laura Geller's inner rim bone shade, and Urban Decay Binge.


From Left to Right: Laura Geller Rose/Sateen Subtle Berry, Laura Geller Bronze and Brighten, Laura Geller Balance and Brighten in Regular, Laura Geller Shadow duo Marble shadow in Blue Icing/Coffee Cake, My favorite nail polish lately has been Lisa from Zoya as seen behind the Balance and Brighten.  It is a shimmery and festive red.

Major Flop

The ever shedding Laura Geller BIG Retractable baked Kabuki Brush.  Nearly double the width of the ones you see on QVC.  I ordered it from her studio for I believe $30...such a disappointment....it never stops shedding.

Non Makeup Faves for the Month FESTIVITIES
The latest pair of funky socks I opened from my Seester's gift last year. 

I could not get a better picture...but I will.  These are the gorgeous ruby and 14k gold earrings one of my BFF's sent me for graduation and one of my most cherished possessions. I love wearing them in the fall and winter!  I wore them to Breaking Dawn and THEY PASSED THE TEST!

Faves Descriptions and Breaking Dawn Ratings
Laura Geller Products
  •  The Real Deal Concealer in Medium: Perfect match for my skin.  Usually works under my eyes...but it gets a thumbs down after seeing Breaking Dawn.  I cried so much (because I just do that sometimes) that it wet, and dried even though I was dabbing my eyes and was a disgusting, cakey mess. Worked great on the rest of my face where I was having issues with redness. This DID NOT PASS the Breaking Dawn Test
  • The Tinted Moisturizer in Light: Again, a perfect skin tone match.  Not very moisturizing, but works well for sheer coverage. Just make sure to use a moisturizer underneath...this isn't Josie Maran's Tinted Moisturizer. This passed the Breaking Dawn Test
  • Champagne Spackle: In my top 5 favorite primers.  It gives a really radiant glow to the skin.  There are micro sparkles...but no disco ball looks. During the winter, when our complexions look like Bella's in Breaking Dawn...we need a little radiance! This passed the Breaking Dawn Test
  • Balance and Brighten in Regular: Love it when used with the Sigma Kabuki Brush which was half the price of what I paid for the Laura Geller Brush.  The Sigma brush is much cuter, works better, and is smaller for on the go touch ups. This passed the Breaking Dawn Test
  • Bronze and Brighten: Perfect bronzer, especially for the winter to warm the skin up, and give a slight contour. This passed the Breaking Dawn Test
  • The Rose and Subtle Berry Blush: One of my favorite Laura Geller products.  You get a blush and matching blush in one compact.
  • The Marble shadow in Blue Icing and Coffee Cake.  I should have purchased two of these.  I use the blue wet usually, and then blend it out with the brown and a fluffy brush and my eyes are done in two seconds.
  • The Marbled Lipstick in Riviera: Usually, this color would be too peachy or dark for me, but it seemed to work when I had no eye makeup on while crying during Breaking Dawn.  
  • Laura Geller Liners for the rims: Opthomologist tested.  They do fade, but not for awhile.  They aren't the softest pencil, but I like this particular shade a lot for the inner rim.
  • The Regular Retractable brush that comes with most Laura Geller products: Works GREAT with bronzers and blushes.  It does not give good coverage of the foundation though.


Other Products
  • I already raved about the Sigma Retractable Kabuki Brushes.  They really apply the LG Balance and Brighten better than any brush I tried.
  • Tarte Lights Camera Lashes: You can't go wrong with this mascara.  Never a "bad lash day."
  • Urban Decay Heavy Metal Glitter: I am not sure if the name has changed or if it is still packaged the same way...but I love the shade Urban Cowboy to use over lighters and brown shadows during the holidays
  • Per-Fekt Eye Brightening Gel: I can use this as a concealer...and after my debacle with the Breaking Dawn and crying incident, I came home, washed off my makeup...did the no makeup look again...but used this concealer/eye brightener. Would I purchase it again?  Doubtful due to the cost...Keep the Garnier girls...same concept from what I understand.  I should compare them.
  • Urban Decay Binge 24/7 Liner: This has got to be one of my top 3 favorites if not my favorite liner from UD.  It brightens the eyes, ads some oomph and just makes you feel pretty without feeling dated.
  • TheBalm Shady Lady Pallet Volume 1: If you are lucky enough to have this you will know what I mean, if not...this is one to try and get your hands on.  I love the range of colors.  My one complaint if I had one is that they are all shimmery and only on real highlight.  I can deal with that though.  The colors I have been reaching for are Luscious Lani (peach champagne highlight), Jet Set Jennifer (almost a greenish/silver/gray), Curvy Cami (Lovely Plum), Easy Wheezie (Gorgeous steel blue or gunmetal), Risque Renee (Dark Blue...almost Navy), Shameless Shanna (Stunning Brown Shimmer)
  • Buxom Lip Gloss in Dolly: Plummy Brown.  This is the first Buxom lip gloss I ever purchased.  I recently they heard one they had called Dani...I think I might need that one :)  What color is it? haha
If you have any questions or comments regarding any of the products below or would like a more in-depth review or swatches, please leave a comment below or email me at the email address listed at the top of the page!


xoxo
Dani

    2 comments:

    1. Awesome blog girl! Although for me it would be the "Beaches" test or the "Last Samurai" test. ROFL.
      You need to do some instructional vlogs for people like me who are makeup-challenged. LOL

      ReplyDelete
    2. Fab pictures, I love the dead brush, Love the blog girl.
      Eric Z

      ReplyDelete

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...